The Enthusiastic Gardener, Charles Murphy, cautions us about adding lime to our gardens. Our host, Harold Johnson, makes us hungry visiting the Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market, and Dan Mason brings the words of Kit Flynn to live in the “Adventures with Garlic”. Amy Hill’s Timely Tips for November are included on our site.
Listen to the Entire Show:
In the Garden…
The Enthusiastic Gardener, Charles Murphy, reminds us that common practice isn’t always the best course of action when it comes to adding Lime to your yard.
Find out more about soil testing and see if you need to add lime to your yard by visiting the NC Dept of Agriculture’s Agronomic Services - Soil Testing site.
In the Know…
Master Gardener Kit Flynn’s adventure with garlic is brought to life by Master Gardener Dan Mason.
Resources mentioned in the story: The Garlic Store
What does the NC Cooperative Extension Service have to say about growing garlic? Read more…
- Sculpture in the Garden - Through December 7th - Up to 45 large-scale sculptures created by North Carolina-based artists integrated into the garden’s outdoor environment. Free. North Carolina Botanical Garden, Chapel Hill. 919-962-0522. ncbg.unc.edu.
- I Have Elephants in My Garden, So What is Your Problem - November 18th, 6:30-8:00 PM - Marie Butler, Landscape Coordinator for Virginia Zoo. Durham Garden Forum - Free to members, $10 for visitors
- Tussie Mussie: The Victorian Language of Flowers Workshop - November 19th, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Duke Gardens. Fee $40 / $32 members. Registration: 919-668-1707 or gardens [email protected]
- Backyard Conservation Practices - November 20, 12noon-1pm - Explore several ways that you can apply conservation practices to your yard while adding beauty and diversity to your surroundings. Learn to develop a plan for your own backyard that will help protect soil, water, air, plant and animal resources. Presented by Linda Birdsong, CCAP Coordinator, Community Conservation Assistance Program, NC Cooperation Extension Service. Attendees may bring lunch; beverages provided. Old Salem Museums & Gardens, Winston-Salem. 336-721-7300.oldsalem.org.
- Holiday Tree Ornament Workshop: Leaf Garlands and Pressed Flowers - November 22nd - 10:00 - 12:00 PM - NC Botanica Garden - Join us for a Holiday Tree ornament making workshop! Participants will create leaf garlands and make pressed flower ornaments on paper to adorn the NCBG Holiday Tree. Materials will be provided, though your own pressed flowers and leaves could add to the variety of designs. Free, but pre-registration required.